Posted by Grace Feng on January 23, 2012
Today is Chinese New Year. A year of “龙(lóng) – dragon“. Or in traditional Chinese character as shown in color red in the art work on the right side. I believe it’s a good time to share some interesting Chinese tradition with you in this practice. Hope you can smell the aroma of festival food together with me and being inspired by the new year spirit as well.
I’ll show you the conversation between the members of a Chinese family when they get together for a 年夜饭 (nián yè fàn) – Chinese New Year Eve dinner. You can use the conversation and knowledge you learned from the practice in your own real world or online conversation around Chinese New Year topic as well. Remember, practice what you’ve learned as much as possible. That is the only way to improve your language to a new level.
It is recommended to complete lesson 1 – 11 before you study this practice.
Now let’s begin…
|lǐ yún||yī shēng||xìng fú|
|李云 (Chinese name)
|| 幸福 (happy)
|jiā tíng||xiān sheng||jiǔ diàn|
| 家庭 (family)
|| 先生 (husband)
|jīng lǐ||kě ài||nǚ ér|
| 经理 (manager)
|| 可爱 (lovely)
|| 女儿 (daughter)
|chú xī||qǐng jià||méi yǒu|
| 除夕 (eve)
|| 请假 (ask for leave)
|| 没有 (don’t have)
|shàng bān||yào||fù mǔ|
|上班 (go to work)
|| 要 (want)
|nián yè fàn||tū rán||diàn huà|
| 年夜饭 (New Year’s family dinner)
|| 电话 (phone)
|xiǎng||qǐ lai||ná qǐ|
| 响 (ring)
|| 起来 (up)
|| 拿起 (pick up)
|| 找 (look for)
|| 周杨 (Chinese name)
|| 能 (could)
|| 接 (pick up, get)
| 给 (give)
|| 买 (buy)
|| 礼物 (gift)
|zuì xīn||chū||bǎo jiàn pǐn|
|| 保健品 (health care product)
|| 跟 (with)
|yī yàng||yī jiā|
|| 一家 (the whole family)
Scene 1 Li Yun’s home
lǐ yún shì yī gè yīshēng. tā yǒu yī gè xìngfú de jiātíng. tā de xiānsheng shì yī gè jiǔdiàn de jīnglǐ. tāmen yǒu yī gè kě’ài de nǚ’ér Lìlì.
李云是一个医生. 她有一个幸福的家庭. 她的先生是一个酒店的经理. 他们有一个可爱的女儿丽丽.
jīntiān shì chúxī, lǐ yún qǐngjià zài jiā, méiyǒu shàngbān. tāmen yījiā wǎnshang yào qù lǐ yún de fùmǔ jiā chī niányèfàn.
今天是除夕, 李云请假在家, 没有上班. 他们一家晚上要去李云的父母家吃年夜饭.
tūrán, diànhuà xiǎng le qǐlai. lǐ yún náqǐ diànhuà:
突然, 电话响了起来. 李云拿起电话:
“ wèi? zhǎo shéi ā?”
“ jiù zhǎo nǐ! wǒ shì zhōu yáng.”
“ lǎogong, shénme shìr?”
“ nǐ néng qù xuéxiào jiēxià Lìlì ma? wǒ qù gěi fùmǔ mǎi lǐwù.”
“ xíng! nǐ xiǎng hǎo mǎi shénme lǐwù le ma?”
“ mǎi zuìxīn chū de bǎojiàn pǐn ba!”
“ xíng! gēn wǒ xiǎng dé yīyàng.
Download mp3 here: P2-section1.mp3
[ translation ]
Li Yun is a doctor. She has a happy family. Her husband Zhou Yang is a hotel manager. They have a lovely daughter Li Li.
Today is Chinese New Year Eve, Li Yun take a day off to stay at home. Her whole family will have New Year’s family dinner at her parent’s house tonight.
Suddenly, the phone rings. Li Yun picked up the phone:
“Hello? Who you’re looking for?”
“You! I’m Zhou Yang.”
“Honey, what’s up?”
“Could you pick up Li Li after school today? I’ll go buy some gifts for our parents.”
“Sure! Have you decided what to buy for the gifts?
“How about some latest health care product?”
“Great! I’m thinking about the same thing.”
If you have any questions about this article, go ahead leave your questions in the comment, I’ll reply you within 24 hours.
Scene 3 and 4 will be posted soon in the next few days, stay tuned…
- Reading, Listening and Speaking practice 1 This practice is best to be taken after Lesson 1 to 6....
- Lesson 11 How to describe “doing things at the same time” in Chinese? In this busy world, don’t we all live in a multi-task life...
- Lesson 10 How to understand and use Chinese sentence pattern “…把…” If you’ve tried to read some Chinese articles, you should have a...
- Lesson 8 How to use adjectives in Chinese (1) Adjectives are words that used to describe the person or thing following...
- Lesson 6 What is the right order of words in a Chinese sentence Depends on the context, this question could turn into a big topic,...
- Lesson 3 How to introduce yourself in Chinese How do you introduce yourself in Chinese? This might be the most...
- Lesson 7 Focus on Chinese sentence patterns first or Chinese vacabulary first? The reason I don’t start my lesson series by just teaching Chinese...
- Lesson 9 How to use adjectives in Chinese (2) In previous lesson, we introduced the usage of adjectives in Chinese. In...
Category: JLC Chinese grammar lessons
|You can share this post here:|