Posted by Grace Feng on April 10, 2012
To learn mandarin from contemporary Chinese novels and poems should be an enjoyable process. If the genre of the novel does not trigger any interests of you, stop reading it. Go pick another one that you do feel like to know what’s going on between the covers.
Poems are the same. A poem that you don’t get at all will do nothing good to your language study. Even if you understand it, but you can’t actually see the beauty of it, it won’t help you at all. It will slide out of your long term memory sooner than you think.
Only the ones that did touch your heart one way or another could stay in your memory. Keep helping you, reminding you of what you’ve learned. Whenever you find one, cherish it.
Today, I’d like to introduce to you a popular contemporary Chinese poem, a poem that has been loved by many of my generation. You might like it, you might not. It’s your call. But at least you can listen to the professional recitation of the poem once, see how much you understand. Chinese, pinyin and English translation are provided below the audio player.
Give it a try …
To the Oak Tree
By 舒婷 shū tíng
wǒ rúguǒ ài nǐ——
If I love you –
juébù xiàng pānyuán de língxiāohuā
I will never be a clinging trumpet creeper
jiè nǐ de gāo zhī xuànyào zìjǐ
Using your high boughs to show off my height
wǒ rúguǒ ài nǐ
If I love you –
juébù xué chīqíng de niǎor
I will never be a spoony bird
wéi lǜ yìn chóngfù dāndiào de gēqǔ
Repeating a monotonous song for green shade
yě bùzhǐ xiàng quányuán
Or be a spring
chángnián sòng lái qīngliáng de wèijiè
Bringing cool solace all year long
yě bùzhǐ xiàng xiǎnfēng
Or be a steep peak
zēngjiā nǐ de gāodù， chèntuō nǐ de wēiyí
Increasing your stature, reflecting your eminence
Even the sunlight
Even the spring rain
bù， zhèxiē dōu hái bùgòu
No, all these are not enough
wǒ bìxū shì nǐ jìn páng de yī zhū mùmián
I must be a ceiba tree beside you
zuòwéi shù de xíngxiàng hé nǐ zhàn zàiyīqǐ
Be the image of a tree standing together with you
gēn， jǐnwò zàidìxià
Our roots, entwined underground
yè， xiāng chù zài yún lǐ
Our leaves, touching in the clouds
měiyī zhènfēng guò
With each gust of wind
wǒmen dōu hùxiāng zhìyì
We greet each other
dàn méiyǒu rén
tīngdǒng wǒmen de yányǔ
Can understand our words
nǐ yǒu nǐ de tóng zhī tiě gàn
You’ll have your copper branches and iron trunk
xiàng dāo、 xiàng jiàn， yě xiàng jǐ
Like knives, like swords, like halberds, too
wǒ yǒu wǒ de hóng shuò huāduǒ
I’ll have my crimson flowers
xiàng chénzhòng de tànxī
Like heavy sighs
yòu xiàng yīngyǒng de huǒjù
And valiant torches
wǒmen fēndān háncháo、 fēng léi、 pīlì
We’ll share cold spells, storms and thunder
wǒmen gòngxiǎng wù’ǎi、 liú lán、 hóng ní
We’ll share mists, hazes and rainbows
fǎngfú yǒngyuǎn fēnlí
Seemingly always apart
què yòu zhōngshēn xiāngyī
But also forever interdependent
zhè cái shì wěidà de àiqíng
Only this can be great love
jiānzhēn jiù zài zhèlǐ
The loyalty is here
bùjǐn ài nǐ wěi’àn de shēnqū
I love not only your strapping stature
yě ài nǐ jiānchí de wèizhi， zúxià de tǔdì
But also your firm stand, the earth beneath you
Hope you enjoyed the poem… good night, my friends!
- Learn to speak mandarin from TV episode excerpt – Unsettled Youth – 我们无处安放的青春 (4) An audio excerpt from a TV episode is a very good learning...
- Learn to speak mandarin from TV episode excerpt – Unsettled Youth – 我们无处安放的青春 (1) An audio excerpt from a TV episode is a very good learning...
- Learn to speak mandarin from TV episode excerpt – Unsettled Youth – 我们无处安放的青春 (2) An audio excerpt from a TV episode is a very good learning...
- Learn to speak mandarin from TV episode excerpt – Unsettled Youth – 我们无处安放的青春 (3) An audio excerpt from a TV episode is a very good learning...
- The favorite love vows – Chinese idiom 天荒地老, 海枯石烂 Imagine when the sky disappeared and the land became old; when the...
- A classic Chinese love song First of all, Happy Valentine’s Day! To celebrate, we’ll use Valentine’s Day...
- Chinese idiom 爱莫能助 – Love to help but can not Have you ever felt that however much you wanted to help someone,...
- Learn Chinese from Chinese TV episodes – 新结婚时代 (7) 新结婚时代 xīn jiéhūn shídài (New Era of Marriage)” is a Chinese TV episode...
Category: Chinese poems
|You can share this post here:|