Posted by Grace Feng on June 13, 2012
Watching a short Chinese essay being read via online video might be an efficient way for you to learn how to pronounce and read in Chinese. Unfortunately, these kinds of videos are very hard to find.
I’d like to share with you one of my latest finding on this Learn Mandarin online blog. It is a very short essay that read by 张妙阳 zhāng miào yáng (very good mandarin speaker). The title for the essay is “当你老了 dāng nǐ lǎo le (When you are old)”, it’s a Chinese translation of Yeats’ poem “When you are old”.
Please watch the video first and see how much you could understand. Intermediate level Chinese learners should be able to understand most of it. Beginners with some amount of vocabulary should not have too much trouble to understand through dictionary.
It can be good material for you to practice your Chinese, either speaking or reading.
For readers in China that can’t access Youtube, please use the following link:
When you are old
— William Butler Yeats
When you are old and grey and full of sleep,
And nodding by the fire, take down this book,
And slowly read, and dream of the soft look
Your eyes had once, and of their shadows deep;
How many loved your moments of glad grace,
And loved your beauty with love false or true,
But one man loved the pilgrim Soul in you,
And loved the sorrows of your changing face;
And bending down beside the glowing bars,
Murmur, a little sadly, how Love fled
And paced upon the mountains overhead
And hid his face amid a crowd of stars.
Let me know whether you find it’s easy to understand or not …
- Learn mandarin from professional recitation of a contemporary poem of love – To the Oak Tree To learn mandarin from contemporary Chinese novels and poems should be an...
- Learn Mandarin through a Chinese fairy tale – Movie 白蛇传说 (Legend of White Snake) 白蛇传说 bái shé chuánshuō (Legend of White Snake) is a folk legend that went down Chinese...
- Learn to speak mandarin from TV episode excerpt – Unsettled Youth – 我们无处安放的青春 (1) An audio excerpt from a TV episode is a very good learning...
- Learn to speak mandarin from TV episode excerpt – Unsettled Youth – 我们无处安放的青春 (2) An audio excerpt from a TV episode is a very good learning...
- Learn to speak mandarin from TV episode excerpt – Unsettled Youth – 我们无处安放的青春 (3) An audio excerpt from a TV episode is a very good learning...
- Learn to speak mandarin from TV episode excerpt – Unsettled Youth – 我们无处安放的青春 (4) An audio excerpt from a TV episode is a very good learning...
- Reading, Listening and Speaking practice 1 This practice is best to be taken after Lesson 1 to 6....
- Reading, Listnening and Speaking practice 2 First of all, 祝大家春节好 (zhù dàjiā Chūnjié hǎo)! (Happy Chinese new year to...
Category: Chinese reading and listening
|You can share this post here:|